Sunday, July 15, 2007

Jesus loves someone

i got fired from my job today.
i left without saying goodbye to anyone but Jeff, choosing instead to save face and smoke a cigarette in the alley before catching the bus home.
I am highly aware of my surroundings on public transportation, and try my best not to be the passenger everyone pays attention to, like the homeless man who had been having Vietnam flashbacks on the commute this morning. But, I'm also terrible at hiding my emotions, and found myself sobbing into my sleeves shaking into the place between the windows.
One woman mouthed "feel better" as she left the bus. One man kept staring, more in a concerned fashion but enough to make awkard eye contact. He gently removes his headphones.
"I have a message for you," he says quietly. "Not from me, someone told me to give it to you"
I don't know how to react.
"What?" I say
"Jesus loves you"
It is my stop. "He has a funny way of showing it" I whisper.
"Remember that" he says as I step onto the street.

No comments: